Neither adequate funding nor large enough deposits of clay have been located to build traditional earthen levees large enough to protect south Louisiana from a category 4 or 5 (Staffir-Simpson Scale) hurricane tidal surge.
Louisiana deserves a levee that is tall enough and strong enough to handle the worst known tidal surge. Louisiana needs that levee to be cheap enough so the entire coast can receive help.
The Double Wall Impact Protection Levee offers these things.
- It can add 15 to 20 feet to the top of any existing levee so height of tidal surge will never be a problem again.
- It has been tested to withstand large storm forces so storms with very high winds will not damage it.
- River sand is cheap and easy to get so there is no need to import clays from other areas of the country.
- It’s fast and easy to build so it could be implemented before next hurricane season.
- It is ready the day the piles are capped so there is no need for months or years of settling to create slope stability; there is no slope.
- Fast simple installation
- Can be built on existing levee
- No expropriation of private property required
- No need for expensive clay (river sand is cheap)
- Higher, stronger, and less expensive than T-Wall levees
- Protects up to Category 5 (Staffir-Simpson Scale) hurricane tidal surge or greater!